By Glenn Seiler
If you’ve purchased a communications processor from Intel in the last year, there is a strong likelihood you are familiar with the Intel® Data Plane Development Kit. Intel DPDK, as it is commonly referred to here at Wind River, is a set of libraries that help applications transmit and receive packet data as efficiently as possible on Intel Xeon multicore processors. System architects and designers of networking applications can leverage the Intel DPDK to accelerate packets through layer 3 to create a fast path for packets to build high performance applications. Mastering the fast path opens the door to a world of new high-value intelligent applications like deep packet inspection (DPI), and security.
But mastering the fast path is no easy task. This can be especially true if you are considering migration from another architecture or protocol stack to take advantage of the increased power of Intel architecture (IA). Nearly every communications company I have talked to over the last few years is starting to consider Intel architecture for data plane applications as well as the traditional applications and control plane typically that IA is used for. The good news is you don’t have to make this transition alone. Wind River is now making our team of technical experts available to support any Intel DPDK project regardless of underlying operating system. Yes, Wind River will support Intel DPDK application development on any Linux whether it is Wind River Linux, your own in-house distribution, or a third party commercial Linux distribution. Check out our latest news.
With this commercial support offer, Wind River can boast the most comprehensive portfolio of Intel DPDK solutions. Here is just some of the things that we have to offer:
- If you’re evaluating Intel processors you can leverage Wind River Simics to simulate your hardware and software system.
- If you’re a Wind River Linux customer you have the benefit of leveraging the heavy lifting we’ve already done to integrate, validate, and test the libraries with our market leading carrier grade Linux runtime.
- We’re also offering Wind River Carrier Grade Linux with Intel DPDK pre-integrated with a number of off the shelf IA platforms. These kits include an evaluation of Wind River Workbench and our IA Performance Studio tools. Check out this embedded development kit on the Intel’s E2600 Server Board.
- If you’re new to DPDK want to learn more about it, you can attend one of our education courses that will get you up to speed quick
- And if you’re still wanted to go it alone you can always access our technical experts for assistance with application design and performance optimizations. Find out more about out rich portfolio of solutions here.
And this is just the beginning. We have a number of additional Intel DPDK professional services and solutions being added to the portfolio in the next few months. Be sure to catch our upcoming webinar in June where we’ll be discussing “the great networking migration – 8 design decisions for next generation communications systems.” Our experts will discuss Intel DPDK and how it used for applications throughout the webinar.
For additional information from Wind River, visit us on Facebook.