By Paul Miller
This is a 4-part blog series on the main challenges facing 5G deployments and how you can solve them with the right tools. Part 1 focuses on building complex networks, part 2 is about keeping costs low, part 3 covers infrastructure requirements, and this final post explains the need to address new security issues.
What New 5G Cybersecurity Issues Must Be Considered?
5G, like any new, accelerative technology, will produce its share of new 5G cybersecurity risks. Given the distributed and sometimes remote nature of 5G far edge nodes, some unique capabilities need to be considered to mitigate that risk, such as:
• TPM (Trusted Platform Module) to secure edge site hardware via cryptographic keys
• QAT (Quick Assist Technology) with Key Protection
• Secure UEFI boot
• Zero Touch updates to keep infrastructure current and secure
Distributed Cloud topology requires new tools and processes to ensure security.
Want to learn more about how to keep costs low in the 4G to 5G transition?
Download our eBook: Solving 5G’s Biggest Challenges for Communication Service Providers
How to Handle 5G Cybersecurity Issues
Wind River takes a double-edged approach to secure 5G networks. First, we use secure design principles in the products we build from the start and constantly provide ongoing security monitoring and patches for all of our products.
We also provide extensive professional services to keep our clients secure. Wind River advises on security practices for 5G networks and cloud operations. Our Professional Services and Advisory teams can monitor 5G networks at all levels—from hardware to application software, operating systems, and switches—and issue patches when necessary.
Security must be built into the infrastructure from the ground up – especially for edge deployments where physical security might be reduced.
Ensure Security with Wind River
Wind River has a deep understanding of how threats are likely to evolve with the new interconnected IoT landscape. The Professional Services Team offers an innovative approach by combining our expertise with the secure software you need to operate your 5G networks.
• Consulting & planning: Can provide an initial solution assessment to determine the Wind River solutions that can best support your organization’s goals.
• Development & integration: Wind River’s expertise and global development approach help internal development teams move quickly and make smart choices on everything from design to extensions to optimization.
• Platform management: Organizations must keep legacy and embedded platforms up to date – Wind River can handle management for custom content and frozen branch maintenance.
• Internet of Things (IoT): Wind River can support your teams in meeting the challenges and realizing the benefits of implementing IoT technology including interfacing, configuration, update, and development services.
• Certification: Wind River has expertise in meeting compliance for DO-178B/C, IEC 61508, and EN 50128.
Wind River understands that cybersecurity must be considered at every phase of product development – or in this case, 5G network design. Organizations must consider what is needed to secure individual hardware devices as well as the communication between devices, the network, and all other systems.
Find out how to implement effective 5G cybersecurity in our eBook:
Solving 5G’s Biggest Challenges for Communication Service Providers